Camino Frances

Camino Frances
Picture provided by http://www.caminodesantiago.me.uk/camino-maps/

Sunday, August 5, 2012

01-08-2012 Hontana to Boadilla

“Wait, Rafa is eating what?”
“An ice-cream labeled XXL”
“He just told me I couldn’t have a palmera (cookie covered in chocolate) because it’s not good to eat such things before bed… and here he is eating an ice-cream cone?”
“Not just an ice-cream cone, an XXL.”
“I have a box of something else labeled XXL.”

“Espera, ¿qué está comiendo Rafa?”
“Un helado que pone XXL.”
“Pero me acaba de decir que yo no pude comer una palmera porque no se debe de comer tales cosas antes de dormir… ¿ahora está comiendo un helado?”
“No es un helado cualquiera, es un XXL.”
“Yo tengo una caja de otra cosa que también pone XXL.”


Today I walked with Aitor and Sergio, two Bosque kids from outside Pamplona. Actor had been asking to walk with me for several days and today he made an effort to wake up an hour early just to join Rafa and me as we left the Hostel at 6:15. Actor actually woke up at 4:55 just to make sure he would be ready in time. When he saw that I was still asleep at 5:20, he came to wake me up.
“I have my alarm set for 5:30, man, Rafa and I are soldiers, we only need 15 minutes to get ready.”

Hoy, caminé con Aitor y Sergio, dos chicos del país Basco pero que viven cerca de Pamplona. Aitor lleva varios días queriendo caminar conmigo y hoy hizo un esfuerzo para levantarse una hora más temprano para salir con Rafa y yo a las 6:15. De hecho, Aitor se levantó a las 4:45 para estar listo. Cuando vio que yo seguía dormido a las 5:20, vino a despertarme a mí. “Oye tío, tengo el despertador puesto para las 5:30, Rafa y yo somos unos soldados, nos hace falta media hora nomás para ponernos listos.”


Actor had been anxious to walk and talk with me because of his own personal story. Several years ago, Actor began to suffer from severe headaches. He also noticed that one of his eyes was beginning to bulge out from his face. A scan showed that one of the bones of his skull was growing inward, blocking his sinus cavity and causing pressure to build up upon the eye. Several surgeries in which his skull was opened to correct the bone have left Actor with scars, but he was lucky that the optic nerves were in no way affected.

Aitor quería hablar conmigo porque él también tiene una historia interesante. Hace unos años, Aitor empezó a sufrir fuertes dolores de cabeza y notó que uno de sus ojos sobresalió. Un escaneo mostró que un hueso crecía por dentro de su cabeza, bloqueando su seno y poniendo presión en su ojo. Varias operaciones en las que tuvieron que abrir su cráneo le han dejado con cicatrices, pero han logrado quitar la presión de su ojo. Con mucha suerte, la presión dentro de la cabeza nunca afectó a los nervios ópticos, aunque pudiera haber ocurrido así.

Actor made a promise to himself that, after his surgeries, he would walk the Camino de Santiago. It is a chance for him to meet people and experience the world. As he explained to me, “After you have a serious, life-changing experience like you or I have had, you begin to see the importance of living each day and taking every chance. Here on the Camino, you go walking with people and through those conversations, you take away something from each person. That is why I wanted to talk with you.”

Aitor hizo una promesa con si mismo que, después de la cirugía, caminaría el Camino de Santiago. Es una oportunidad para conocer a la gente y ver el mundo por sus ojos. Me dijo, “Después de que tengas una experiencia que te cambie la vida, como las que hemos tenido tú y yo, empiezas a ver la importancia de vivir cada momento y tomar cada oportunidad. En el Camino, cuando hablas con la gente, tú llevas contigo un poco de esa persona. Por eso quería caminar contigo.”


Actor considers himself to be a religious person, sharing with me a story about his father having a life-or-death accident. It is that belief in something more powerful that keeps you alive in the moment when you might die. As with so many Christians I have spoken to, however, Actor looks toward the human side of things. “A religious person can live a horrible life and seek forgiveness and that doesn’t seem right. Our actions are what define us.”

Aitor piensa en si mismo como una persona religiosa. Me contó la historia de su padre que tuvo un accidente muy serio y casi se murió. Es creer en algo más que tú que te da la fuerza para sobrevivir en el momento que puedes morir. Como tantos otros cristianos con los que he hablado, sin embargo, Aitor se concentra en el lado humano de la religión. “Una persona religiosa puede hacer cosas muy malas y ser perdonada y eso no me parece bien, son las acciones que nos hacen quienes somos.”

Through the afternoon I walked with Sergio, a friend of Actor who was originally only going to walk a short way along the Camino. The Camino caught his attention, however, and he is considering continuing until Santiago. Many people asked me about my experience walking with Sergio, a quiet and reserved youth of 24. “Quiet? He never stopped talking to me. We came singing songs in English.”
I seem to have this affect on people, I’m not sure why, but even the most reserved people seem to open up. We didn’t speak about anything particularly deep, but we compared tastes in music and discussed books and movies. Sometimes it is nice to just have these simple conversations as well.

Por la tarde, caminé con Sergio, lo cual sólo iba a hacer una parte del Camino. Sin embargo, el Camino le llamó mucha la atención y ahora está pensando en continuar hasta Santiago. Varias personas me preguntaron que tal me fue caminando con Sergio, un chaval callado de 24 años. “¿Callado? No me dejó de hablar, vinimos cantando canciones en Inglés.” Tengo ese efecto con muchas personas; aunque sean reservadas, siempre me hablan. No hablamos de ninguna cosa profunda, sino hablamos de nuestros gustos en la música y literatura, pero a veces hace falta una conversación normal en el Camino.


Finally, after dinner, I found myself confronted by one more pilgrim I had not yet met. He is a Belgium kid walking from Burgos to Santiago. He caught my attention because he began speaking about his interest in the martial arts. AS he explained to me, he practices “Ninjitsu” the real martial art. He studies the arts of the battlefield, like how to break someone’s bones with a strike. Though the conversation was… odd, it was refreshing to see his extreme energy. At one point, he jumped up from his chair and started doing push ups and shouting loudly to express his power. You really do find everyone on the Camino.

Al final, después de cenar, me encontré con un peregrino más que todavía no había conocido. Es un Belgo que está caminando desde Burgos a Santiago. Me llamó la atención porque empezó a hablar de su interés en las artes marciales. Me explicó que él practica “ninjitsu” la verdadera arte marcial. Son las artes de la guerra, como poder romper el brazo de alguien con un puñetazo. Aunque la conversación fue… rara, me animó un poco ver su energía. En algún momento, se levantó de su silla y empezó a hacer flexiones, gritando para mostrar su poder. Conoces a todos tipos en el Camino.

1 comment: