Camino Frances

Camino Frances
Picture provided by http://www.caminodesantiago.me.uk/camino-maps/

Wednesday, August 1, 2012

27-07-2012 Nájera to Santo Domingo de la Alcazaba

I was up and folding my sleeping bag as soon as my alarm rung at 6:00AM. I don’t believe I was even awake as I stuffed the bag into its compression sack. At 7:00AM, I was down stairs waiting for my Canadian friends to join me. I said good bye to my little family unit as we left a little before them.

Tan pronto como sonó mi despertador a las 6:00, me levanté y me puse a doblar mi saco de dormir. NO creo que estuviera despierto todavía cuando empecé a meter el saco en su funda. A las 7:00, estaba esperando a los canadienses en la entrada del albergue. Como salimos antes que mi familia, me despedí y nos fimos.


The Canadians: Michael, Mathew, and the siblings Laura and Emanuel (who are Guatemalan). The four of them have come to walk the Camino for different reasons, but primarily religious. Emanuel, for example, is preparing to become a priest. Mathew is the leader of his church’s youth ministry. Michael, a young man of 23 years of age, has been a member of the church for years and thinks of Mathew as his second father. As a group, they are very friendly, cheerful and delightful to come across upon the Camino.

Los canadienses: Mateo, Miguel, y los hermanos Laura y Emanuel (los dos guatemaltecos). Los cuatro han venido a hacer el Camino por sus propias razones, pero son todas religiosas. Emanuel, por ejemplo, está preparándose para hacerse Sacerdote. Mateo es el líder de las clases de la juventud de la iglesia en su comunidad. Miguel un joven de 23 años, lleva muchos años en la iglesia y piensa en Mateo como segundo padre. Como grupo. Es muy alegre y siempre nos anima encontrarle en el Camino.

During the first couple hours of our hike, I walked with Mathew. He is in his mid forties and an engineer as well as running the youth program at his community church. AS we walked, we spoke about various topics as they occurred to us. This is a typical theme on the Camino: your conversation passes from topic to topic depending on the heat and how many kilometers you’ve walked. What I found to be most interesting, however, was our conversation about human relations. One way or another, we began to talk about the different ways Christianity is viewed. I told Mathew that I thought it was horrible that, after such disasters as the earthquakes in Haiti and Japan, many “Catholics” cry out that unbelievers have been punished. Mathew, likewise, finds this to be a terrible abuse of Christianity. AS he told me, “People do not ask to be poor and live in poverty; people live in such conditions because they don’t have any other choice. They have been taken advantage of. In the case of Haiti, for years other cultures and other countries have taken advantage of them and, of course, they do not have the resources to survive. If you want to find God, look for him in the rubble, he is in the people who work together.”

Durante las primeras horas del día, me fui a caminar con Mateo. Es un hombre de cuarenta y pico años, un ingeniero y dirige el programa de juventud en la iglesia. Mientras caminábamos, hablábamos de cualquier tema que nos ocurrió. Es muy típico del Camino: el tema de la conversación cambia según el calor y los kilómetros que has caminado. La conversación más interesante, para mí, fue la que teníamos sobre la importancia de relaciones humanas. De alguna forma, empezamos a hablar de las maneras en las que se ve Cristiandad por el mundo. Le dije a Mateo que lo pensé horrible que, después de tales desastres como los terremotos en Haití y Japón, “Católicos” han dicho que Dios ha castigado a los no creéntes. Mateo, también, lo ve como un abuso de la Cristiandad. En sus palabras, “La gente no quiere vivir en la pobreza sin dinero ninguno, la gente vive así porque no tiene otra opción. En el caso de Haití, durante muchos años otros países y otras culturas han aprovechado de los haitianos. Ya no tienen los recursos para sobrevivir. Si quieres encontrar a dios, hay que buscar en las ruinas de Haití y otros lugares. Dios está allí, con la gente que trabaja allí.””

The words of Mathew really rang true for me. I, myself, if it is to be known, am not religious. I strive every day to work and improve the world around me through my actions and the people I meet. Mathew agrees that this is the work of God. So, even if I don’t believe the same bible and the same religion, at least we believe in the same purpose.


Las palabras de Mateo me sonaron verdaderas. Yo no soy una persona religiosa. A pesar de eso, vivo intentando siempre a mejorar al mundo por mis acciones y la gente que voy conociendo.

Later, I walked with Michael. We spent several hours discussing martial arts and training routines. AS my primary work, hobby, and purpose for living is the martial arts, I can spend hours talking about my training. Michael, likewise, is a man who cares about athletics. So we talked about going to the gym and the latest trends in exercise. Afterwards, Michael and I began speaking about our reasons for hiking. He asked me, very politely, what I believed. I explained to him that, though I am not a Christian, I believe in the importance of living a life connected with people. He explained to me a little his religious development while studying biology. He believes in evolution and the big bang, but he can maintain his faith alongside his science. There was a period when he had doubts, but he was able to work through them.

Después, pasé un par de horas hablando con Miguel. Hablamos de las artes marciales y nuestras rutinas de entrenamiento. Como mi hobby, mi vida, y todo lo que pienso tiene algo que ver con las artes marciales, soy capaz de pasar horas y horas hablando de mi entrenamiento. Miguel, también, es una persona que pone mucha importancia en los deportes. Después, hablamos un poco de nuestras razones por caminar. Miguel me preguntó, de una forma muy educada, si yo era creente. Le expliqué que, aunque no sea cristiano, creo que es muy importante vivir vinculado con la gente. Por su parte, Miguel me contó un poco sus dudas mientras hacía la carrera de biología. Ahora, es capaz de creer en la evolución mientras mantiene su fe.


I joined my family again in the evening as we arrived to Santo Domingo de la Alcazaba. Since one member of the Canadian group, Emanuel, is hurt, he had taken a taxi ahead to reserve their group spaces. Unfortunately, they are staying in a different hostel than us, so we said our goodbyes. We will see each other tomorrow on the Camino, however.
I normally don’t mention the hostels in my entries, but one brief note: the hostel in Santo Domingo is fantastic. The woman working the desk was delighted to meet me. After telling me I have beautiful eyes and making me stroke her long hair, she made sure that my bed was in the same room as my family, who had arrived before me. Later on, a French man who also works in the hostel spent nearly an hour telling Rafa and me stories in the hallway. He was a delightful man, though it was a little hard to escape from him.

Me junté otra vez con mi familia cuando llegamos a Santo Domingo. Como un miembro del grupo de los canadienses está dañado, él tomó un taxi a Santo Domingo y reservó los sitios para su grupo. Desafortunadamente, están en otro albergue, pero nos encontraremos mañana en el Camino.
Normalmente, no hablo mucho de los albergues en mis entradas, pero el albergue de Santo Domingo es fantástico. La mujer trabajando de hospitalera estaba encantada de conocerme. Después de decirme que tengo unos ojos muy guapos y decirme que le tocara el pelo para ver que tal estaba de largo, me buscó un sitio en el cuarto de mis amigos que habían llegado antes. Después, un hombre Francés que también trabaja como hospitalero nos pilló a Rafa y yo en el pasillo y pasó casi una hora contándonos historias. Era muy simpático, era muy difícil escapar.

3 comments:

  1. Hola Niko! I am just back from Brazil and catching up on your progress. Es maravilloso poder acompanarte en el camino por medio de este blog. Elizabeth es muy sabia, sabes? Estoy de acuerdo con todo lo que te dijo. In that look is love, as well as profound gratitude for restoring our faith in the strength of the human spirit, leading us to find our own. In this way, for some of your fellow pilgrims, you will be the revelation of their journey. Own it and enjoy it, without losing your humility of course. Gambate Niko!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting discussion of religion. At the moment, I am much at peace with a concept here in Japan, that there are gods in everything, waiting to be found, particularly the trees and the mountains. I am off on my own religious excursion this weekend -- I am finally doing Dewa Sanzan!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great town to be in, Nico. For what it's worth, I'm sure you've already read up on it, when you get to Burgos, the albergue is on the way out of town (a good 2 or 3 kilometers - well, at least it was 6 years ago). If you want to be near the action, it might be worth staying in a hostel close to the cathedral.

    ReplyDelete