Camino Frances

Camino Frances
Picture provided by http://www.caminodesantiago.me.uk/camino-maps/

Monday, July 30, 2012

26-07-2012 Logroño to Nájera

26-07-2012 Logrono to Nájera


“Take that plate away from him before he eats it.”
“Do you need someone to wash the dishes? With a little bit of bread I’d be more than happy to work for free.” After a thirty kilometer day under an overcast sky, we were all famished and exhausted. This dinner was my first real meal of the day, apart from the small breakfast and primarily liquid based lunch. Potatoes of the Rioja style with Chorizo followed by stuffed peppers and chocolate cake. Not to forget the wine mixed with Casera (a slightly lemon-flavored carbonated water).

“Quítale ese plato antes de que lo coma.”
“Hace falta una persona que os limpie los platos; si me dejas un poco de pan no me importaría trabajar gratis.”
Después de un día de 30 kilómetros bajo un cielo nublado, todos teníamos mucha hambre. Esta cena fue mi única verdadera comida del día, aparte de un pequeño desayuno y un almuerzo de mucho líquido. Patatas a la Rioja, pimientos rellenos y tarta de chocolate. No se olvide el vino con casera.


After a sleepless night in the hostel of Logrono, waking up drenched in sweat due to the lack of air and humid temperatures, starting out was difficult. Rafa, the smart one, woke up at 4:30 to begin walking by 5:00AM. His plan was to finish the 30 kilometers between Logrono and Najera before the real heat began. The rest of us, Geraldo, Mario, Christina and I left around 6:45.

Después de pasar una noche sin dormir en el albergue de Logroño, despertándome chorriando de sudor gracias a la falta de aire y humedad, fue difícil empezar de caminar esta mañana. Rafa, el genio del grupo, se despertó a las 4:30 para empezar a caminar a las 5:00. Su plan era acabar con los 30 kilómetros entre Logroño y Nájera antes del calor. Cristina, Mario, Gerardo y yo salimos a caminar a las 6:45.


For the first hour and a half of our hike, a beautiful stroll through a wooded park at the edge of Logroño, I walked with Geraldo. We discussed our reasons for walking the Camino. Geraldo is 62 years old and views the Camino as a physical challenge. He may not have the strength to walk the Camino in five years, but he has the strength now. So he walks the Camino partly because he can and partly to prove he is still capable. Geraldo also spoke to me a lot about his personal opinion that people must look for their own, personal strength to overcome the difficulties in their life. We can depend upon the people around us, our family and friends, but in the end we have to find our own way to survive. Perhaps this is why I enjoy walking with Geraldo. Geraldo looks upon all of us as his children. He is here to support us, when we need him, but he waits for us to find our own path. He lets us make our own mistakes. Similarly, Geraldo observes the capabilities each person has. He tells me, “Hey, this path is getting rough,” and little more. He has observed that I use my cane. If he were to tell me about every bump and every rock, I wouldn’t need my cane and maybe I’d just forget how to use it. These are skills I have developed and there is a reason for them.

Durante la primera hora y media del Camino de hoy, un caminata por un bosque verde a las afueras de Logroño, caminé con Gerardo. Hablamos un poco de nuestras razones por venir al Camino. Gerardo es un hombre de 62 años y considera el Camino como un reto físico. A lo mejor no tendrá la fuerza para caminar en cinco años más, pero el tiene la fuerza ahora. Por una parte, camina porque pueda y por otra parte camina para mostrar su fuerza. Gerardo también me habló de su opinión de que la gente tiene que buscar su propia forma de conquistar a los problemas que les enfrentan en la vida. Podemos buscar a la familia y a los amigos para apoyo, pero al final somos nosotros que tenemos que sobrevivir. Quizás por eso me gusta caminar con Gerardo. Nos ve a todos como si fuéramos sus hijos. Está dispuesto a apoyarnos, cuando nos hace falta, pero deja que cada uno busca su propio camino. Nos deja hacer errores, pero también nos observa y ve las capacidades de cada uno. Me dice, “Oye, este camino está chungo,” y poco más. Ha observado que yo utilizo mi bastón para buscar los escalones y un camino seguro. Si me avisara de cada roca y cada piedra, no haría falta que llevo un bastón. Quizás se me olvidaría utilizarlo.


For my part, I explained to Geraldo my own varied reasons for hiking the Camino: learning how to let people help me as well as searching for the line where the help is too much. Geraldo reconfirmed for me the fact that our group views me as a very capable person, but that when they help me it is out of the same concern they show for one another. (Even if they still help me that little bit more.)

Por mi parte, le expliqué a Gerardo las razones variadas que tengo para caminar: aprender a dejar que los demás me ayudan y aprender donde está la línea entre ayuda y discriminación. Gerardo me confirmó que, cuando alguien del grupo me ayuda, es con el mismo cariño y las mismas razones que ayudaría a cualquier otro miembro del grupo. (Aunque me siguen ayudando un poco más a mí que a los demás.)


Our small family unit took our afternoon break in a small park in a town along the way. For thirty minutes we tried to sleep, but the flies were so loud and persistent that we gave up any attempt. Finally, we began doing Yoga and headstands, working on our balance under the shade of some trees. (See, Lyn, some martial arts along the way). We continued the last 11 kilometers of our Camino, finally, around 5:00. Despite our break, the heat and rocky trail made the last stretch endless.

Nuestra pequeña familia descansó en un parque por la mitad del Camino. Durante 30 minutos, intentamos a dormir, pero las moscas fueron tan agobiantes que ninguno logró dormirse. Así que, al final, dejamos de dormir y nos pusimos a hacer yoga bajo la sombra de unos árboles. Un poco antes de las 5:00, empezamos los últimos 11 kilómetros del Camino. A pesar del descanso, el calor y las piedras hicieron que los últimos kilómetros se volvieron interminables.

After our dinner, we returned to the hostel where I happened to run into a group of four Canadians from Montreal who are also walking. I asked if I might join their group for tomorrow and, of course, they were happy to oblige.

Después de la cena, me encontré con 4 Canadienses en el albergue. Les pregunté si les importara que caminara con ellos mañana, y me dijeron que será un placer.

1 comment:

  1. Ya sabes que te sigo con mucho cariño, m encantan tus post.La pena es el calorazo que hace , pero ya veo que comes muy bien y estás contento.
    Un abrazo

    ReplyDelete