Camino Frances

Camino Frances
Picture provided by http://www.caminodesantiago.me.uk/camino-maps/

Saturday, July 28, 2012

22-07-2012 Pamplona to Puente de la Reina

“Look, Niko, look how well I take care of you, eh? You stick with me and I’ll take care of you.” This was Gerardo, the father of our little family unit as we enjoyed pinchos at a small bar in Puente de la reina. Gerardo, myself and our friend Antonio were having some beer and assorted snacks as we waited for the rest of our group to organize. Without telling me, Gerardo ordered Torezno, a type of fried pork skin and fat, as well as a pincho of anchovy, olive and cheese. Though I have tried various types of pinchos in the past, this was my first time eating torenzo.

“¿Cómo te cuido, Niko, ehh?, Tú te quedas conmigo y a ver cómo te cuido.” Esto fue Gerardo, el padre de nuestra pequeña familia. Gerardo, nuestro amigo Antonio y yo tomamos unas cervezas y comimos pinchos en un pequeño bar de Puente de la Reina mientras esperaban que los demás miembros del grupo se organizaran. Sin decirme lo que estaba pediendo, me puso Torrezno, un tipo de piel de cerdo frito, y un pincho de queso con anchoa y acetín. Aunque he probado varios pinchos ya, esto fue la primera vez que como torrezno.


AS today is Sunday, we started our journey from Pamplona by searching for a place to eat breakfast. Our prayers were finally answered at the edge of Pamplona as we came across a cafeteria that was thankfully open. After a quick breakfast of sweet bread and coffee, we began walking toward today’s challenge: the Height of Pardon: El Alto de Perdón.

Como hoy es domingo, empezamos nuestro Camino buscando un lugar donde desayunar. Por fin, encontramos una cafetería abierta. Después de un desayuno rápido de bollerías y café, nos tiramos para el reto de hoy: el Alto de Perdón.


El Alto de Perdón is a small mountain between Pamplona and Puente de la Reina. It is approximately a 2 kilometer climb and another 2 kilometer descent. The descent, however, is long and rocky and tough on the feet.

El Alto de Perdón es un pequeño monte entre Pamplona y Puente de la Reina. La subida es de aproximadamente 2 kilómetros y la bajada igual, pero con muchas rocas que machacan a los pies.


After having a somewhat difficult day yesterday, I found myself quiet and reserved during most of the morning as I walked with Rafa. After a little while, however, Gerardo caught up to us and began to recite tongue twisters for my amusement. “The sky is built of bricks, who will break the bricks, what brick breaker breaks the bricks, a good brick breaker he will be.” (A rough translation.)

Después de un día difícil Aller, me encontré calladito esta mañana. Iba caminando con Rafa sólo, hasta que Gerardo nos pilló para contarme trabalenguas y chistes verdes. “El cielo está enladrillado; ¿quien lo desenladrillará? El desenladrillador que desenladrille el cielo, que buen desenladrillador será.”

Rafa, for his part, spoke to me of his life and also about the importance of being comfortable enough with one another to say, “Hey, I need to eat now,” rather than waiting until it’s passed time.

Por su parte, Rafa me habló mucho de su vida. También, hablamos de la confianza que tenemos uno con otro. Tengo que sentirme cómodo, por ejemplo, de decir cuando tengo que comer. No esperar hasta que ya me he vuelto medio loco de hambre.


The Alto of Perdón was impressive for the strong winds that work the two windmills placed on its heights. We stopped for photos in front of a statue of a couple bulls and enjoyed the fresh air. As we began our long, slow descent, Rafa, Mario and I found ourselves together singing Spanish songs at the top of our voices. That is, as much as we could remember of any particular song.

El viento que sopla las dos molenas por encima del Alto de Perdón es impresionante. Paramos para sacar fotos de las estatuas de algunos toros y para desfrutar del aire fresco. Cuando empezamos la larga bajada, Rafa, Mario y yo nos encontramos juntos y nos pusimos a cantar a voz alta canciones en español. Pues, cantamos lo poco que acordamos de cada canción, uno empezando cuando otro se olvidó una letra.

When we arrived in Puente de la Reina, I showered and prepared my clothing for washing. Then I sat on top of my bed like a statue of Buda and waited for one person to make phone calls, another person to finish showering, and another person to do something else. Finally, Gerardo told me to come along; we were going to have a drink while the others got organized. This is how I found myself at a bar, drinking beer and eating fried pig.


Cuando llegamos al albergue, prepare la ropa y me duché rápidamente. Después, me sentí por encima de la cama como la estatua del Buda y esperé a que uno hiciera una llamada de teléfono, otro terminara de duchar y otro se secara el pelo. Al final, Gerardo me dijo que le acompañara y nos fuimos a tomar una cerveza mientras esperábamos Así es como me encontré comiendo cerdo frito.

As the evening drew on, I found myself considering my purpose for walking the Camino. My little family is wonderful, but I don’t want to limit myself to meeting only this one group. I spoke with Gerardo about wanting to walk with other people without losing the friendship or offending anyone of our group. Gerardo assured me that no one would take it badly if I walked with another person during the day tomorrow. In fact, he thought it was a great idea. I decided to ask a Canadian woman with whom we had coincided several times if she minded that I walk with her. She only hesitated a moment before accepting my offer. Her name is Elizabeth and she is heading to the same town tomorrow as my family, so I will not lose them over the course of the day.

Mientras pasaba la tarde, me puse a pensar en mis razones por haber venido al Camino. Mi pequeña familia es maravillosa, pero no quiero sólo conocer a este grupo. Hablé con Gerardo un poco acerca de mi deseo de caminar con otra gente sin perder la amistad y bienestar del grupo. Me aseguró que nadie lo tomaría de mala manera si fuera yo con otra gente durante un día. De hecho, Gerardo pensó que era una idea fantástica. Por eso, cuando llegamos al albergue me fui a hablar con una mujer canadiense con la que habíamos coincidido varias veces. Le pregunté si le importaría que caminara con ella. Después de una pequeña pausa, me dijo que no, no habrá ningún problema. Se llama Elizabet y se va al mismo pueblo como mi grupo mañana, así que no perderé tampoco el contacto con ellos.

No comments:

Post a Comment