Camino Frances

Camino Frances
Picture provided by http://www.caminodesantiago.me.uk/camino-maps/

Sunday, July 22, 2012

21/07/2012 Zubiri to Pamplona

Tonight, the noise was too much for me to handle and I became very nervous. I had to push myself away from the table and I began folding my napkin obsessively, something I do when I feel too much pressure. Our small group of five was joined by two additional members this evening and as the conversation grew louder and I was hungry and unable to concentrate on what was going on, I temporarily lost control. We were having “pinchitos” small tapas that are served on sticks and can range from cheese and shrimp to olives and tuna and anything in between. I sometimes feel stress when I don’t have control over the food I’m eating, and the fact that people were ordering several plates to share was confusing me.

Esta noche, el ruido se volvió demasiado y me puse muy nervioso. Tenía que alejarme un poco de la mesa y empecé a doblar mi servilleta, algo que suelo hacer cuando me encuentro mal. Dos personas más se juntaron a nuestro grupo y, mientras el volumen de la conversación subía y ya no pude concentrarme bien, perdí un poco el control. Comíamos pinchitos, unas tapitas en palillos que pueden ser de varios tipos. Muchas veces, me da estrés cuando no tengo control sobre la comida que estoy comiendo y el hecho de que pidieron varios platos para compartir me confundió.

The third day on the Camino is considered to be one of the worst. Not for the land or the distance of 22 kilometers, but for the fact your body is now feeling the affects of the two previous days. Every ache and pain is noticeable and the body has not settled into a regular rhythm. Thankfully, I am physically very well prepared for strenuous activity. After a year in Japan training Judo, I am accustomed to several hours of intense exercise each day. However, I am also accustomed to having a meal at a regular time. I was not the only person feeling the affects of hunger and prolonged hiking; each member of our group was markedly quieter as we set out from Zubiri.

El tercer día del Camino es uno de los peores. No por el terreno ni la distancia de 22 kilómetros, sino por el hecho de que el cuerpo y ya empieza a notar el esfuerzo de los últimos dos días. Cada dolor se vuelve más fuerte y el cuerpo todavía no ha cogido un ritmo normal. Afortunadamente, estoy bien preparado físicamente. Después de un año entrenando el judo en Japón, estoy ya acostumbrado a ejercicio intensivo cada día. Sin embargo, estoy también acostumbrado a tener la comida a una hora fija. NO fui yo el único que se notó el hambre y el cansancio del tiempo prolongado de caminar; cada miembro del grupo estaba más calladito cuando salimos de Zubiri.

Today, I spent a long part of the morning walking with Jeraldo. He is a very interesting man who has traveled through all of Spain as well as to Cuba and Parts of France, Italy and Brussels. We spent an hour and a half discussing the time he worked in Cuba and speaking about how Cuba is viewed in our respective countries, as well as how it looks from the inside. Jeraldo also delights in teaching me songs, jokes, and tongue-twisters in Spanish. Because I am a foreigner with an unusually high level of Spanish, he always tries to use vocabulary much more difficult than a normal Spaniard might use.


Hoy, pasé un buen rato Caminando con Geraldo. Es un hombre muy interesante que ha viajado por todo España, a Cuba, y a varias partes de Italia, Francia y Bélgica. Pasamos una hora y media hablando del tiempo que trabajaba en Cuba tanto como la manera en la que Cuba está vista por el mundo. A Geraldo también le gusta enseñarme canciones, chistes y trabalenguas en español. Por el hecho de que tengo un nivel alto de español, le gusta hablar con un vocabulario mucho más difícil de lo que utiliza la típica persona de España. Así yo tengo que esforzarme más para comprender.

There are four bridges marked along the Camino between Zubiri and Pamplona. In the earlier hours of the morning, we walked in small groups, individually or in pairs. In the afternoon, however, a large procession formed and around fifteen pilgrims shared the Camino in a bunch. As the kilometers grew longer, however, we began to spread out once more. Finally, by the time we reached Pamplona, our little group of five plus an additional brother-sister duo reached the municipal hostel constructed in an old cathedral. The hostel itself was beautiful, although the arrangements were strange as you had to walk through rooms full of beds in order to reach the stairs up to the second floor where we were located.

Hay cuatro puentes señaladas en el mapa entre Zubiri y Pamplona. Por la mañana, caminamos uno por uno o en pequeños grupos de dos. Por la tarde, sin embargo, nos agrupamos unos 15 personas y todos nos compartimos el Camino. Mientras los últimos kilómetros se volvieron más largos, empezamos a separarnos otra vez. Al final, nuestro grupo de cinco más una mujer y su hermano todos llegamos al albergue municipal, lo cual fue construido en un antiguo catedral. Aunque el albergue fuera muy bonito, teníamos que pasar por habitaciones llenos de camas para llegar a las escaleras que subieron a nuestra habitación.



After the hasty meal in which I became nervous, we walked around the famous town and ate some ice cream. We also stopped to buy some groceries for a possible dinner. AS we reached the hostel once again and divided, two members staying downstairs to check the laundry and two returning upstairs with our food, Mario tried to pull the bag of groceries I was carying off my wrist. Although his intentions were to be helpful, it struck me as a macho gesture of “The blind person shouldn’t have to carry these.” Though my goal with this entire journey is to develop my patients, I find not only the attitude but also the act of grabbing something I am holding to be very offensive. My reaction, of course, was to catch his hand and twist it until he was forced to back up.

Después de la comida en la que me volví
Nervioso, dimos una vuelta por esta famosa ciudad y comimos un helado. También fuimos a comprar cosas para una posible cena. Cuando volvimos otra vez al albergue y nos separamos, dos quedándose abajo para poner la lavadora y dos subiendo con las compras, Mario intentó quitarme las dos bolsas de las compras de mi muñeca. Aunque quería no más que ayudar, el gesto me pareció un poco machista, tipo, “El ciego no tiene por que llevar las bolsas.” Aunque el reto con este viaje sea el de desarrollar mi paciencia, esta actitud y el gesto de quitarme las cosas que llevo en la mano me resulta muy ofensivo. Así que le cogí la muñeca y lo giré hasta que tenía que moverse para atrás.


Here is the question: where do I place a limit on patience. Though my small group is fantastic, no one has ever dealt with a blind person before. So I get a lot of questions and a lot of information from too many people at once. One person telling you “there is a step” is fine, but four people telling you “there is a step” at the same time becomes monotonous. I have very subtly tried saying, “Hey, don’t worry about mentioning these things, I use my cane,” but I am told “No no no, you don’t understand, it’s just we’re worried,” As though I’ve never been a blind person dealing with sighted people before. So where do I draw the line? Where do I stop letting people help me. After all, I want to develop patience, but I also want people to see that blindness isn’t a handicap. If I let them, my friends would cut my food and serve it to me, I’m sure.

Aquí esta el dilema: hasta que punto debo de quedarme pasivo. Mi pequeño grupo es fantástico, pero ninguno de ellos ha conocido a un ciego que yo sepa. Así que me hacen muchas preguntas y me dan muchísima información de todos. Está bien si una persona te dice “hay un escalón,” pero cuando cuatro personas todas te dicen “hay un escalón” a la vez, se vuelve una molestia. Intento decirles, de buena manera, “NO os preocupáis, tengo mi bastón” pero me responden, “No no no, no entiendes, es que estamos preocupados.” Como sí yo nunca hubiera sido con tantas personas videntes. ¿Donde está la línea? ¿Hasta que punto los dejo ayudarme? Al fin y el cabo, quiero tener más paciencia pero también quiero que los demás aprendan que la invidencia no es una discapacidad. Si los dejara, estoy seguro de que mis amigos me cortarían y servirían la comida.


It’s my personal devil which I’ll probably carry with me to Santiago.

Es el Diablo que me llevaré hasta Santiago.


In the end, Mario, Rafa and I all went out for a couple glasses of white wine before bed. One beautiful thing about the Spanish culture is the fact you can get angry at one another and have a beer together an hour later.

Al final, Mario, Rafa y yo salimos para tomar unas copas de vino antes de acostar. Lo bonito de España es que te puedes enfadar con una persona y salir a tomar una cerveza juntos una hora después.

3 comments:

  1. the line itself became a question to myself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. María José y Antonio, de CaletaJuly 24, 2012 at 3:52 AM

    Mucho ánimo y mucha paciencia. Ya sabes que la paciencia es una virtud que se asocia a la persona sabia y tú has demostrado ya que lo eres.
    Un abrazo de tus amigos María José y Antonio de Caleta

    ReplyDelete
  3. If only the whole world could have a beer together two hours after being angry with one another ...

    ReplyDelete