Camino Frances

Camino Frances
Picture provided by http://www.caminodesantiago.me.uk/camino-maps/

Thursday, August 30, 2012

05-08-2012 Bercianillos de Camino to Mansilla de las Mulas


A light supper: empanadas, cheese, ham, some thick bread and croquetas. For dessert, assorted pastries. All thanks to the lovely parents of Christina who met us on the path coming into town today. Ironically, Christina couldn’t eat any of it.

Una sena ligera esta noche: empanada, queso, jamón, pan y croquetas. De postre, un surtido de pastelitos. Todo gracias a los padres de Cristina, los cuales nos buscó en el Camino hoy. Desafortunadamente, Cristina no pudo comer nada de nada.


Leaving the hostel today, we were joined by a new member of our group: Pedro. Pedro is a young man from north of Civil who is studying engineering in Madrid. He only has a short time on the Camino, but he fit in smoothly with our group. Yesterday, he was able to solve one of Papi’s riddles in a matter of minutes, proving that he is smarter than any of the rest of us.

Saliendo hoy del albergue, nos acompañó un nuevo miembro del grupo: Pedro. Pedro es un chaval del norte de Sevilla que está estudiando ingeniería en Madrid. Tiene muy poco tiempo para caminar, pero se pegó con el grupo en seguida. Aller, fue capaz de solucionar uno de las adivinanzas de Papi, confirmando que es más listo que nosotros.


Very shortly after beginning the Camino, Christina began to feel ill. I was walking with her when, suddenly, she stopped. “Go ahead with Pedro, I have to vomit.” Something settled badly in her stomach from the communal dinner we ate last night. She suspected it was the salad, but after throwing up she felt better. Of course, the relief is only temporary and within a short while she began to feel worse. I walked with her as the rest of the group got further and further ahead.
Fortunately, there was a town near by and we stopped momentarily for a coffee. Since Christina had been walking slowly, everyone else was ready to start moving as soon as we arrived. I was a little irritated, because this meant I was going to be stuck at the back of the group. My competitive nature began to show itself, but I tried to rationalize the situation. In the famous words of Papi, “it’s not who walks faster, but who finishes their dessert first.”

Un poco después de empezar esta mañana, Cristina se puso mal. Estaba caminando con ella cuando, de repente, se paró, “vete con Pedro un rato, tengo que vomitar.” Algo de la sena de anoche le sentó mal. Cristina sospechó que fuera la ensalada, pero después de vomitar se encontró mejor. Su alivio duró poco tiempo, sin embargo, y al rato empezó a sentirse mal otra vez. Volví a caminar con ella mientras el resto del grupo iba cada vez más por delante.
Afortunadamente, hubo un pueblo no muy lejos y paramos para tomar un café. Como Cristina había estado caminando más lento, los demás miembros del grupo estaban listos para seguir tan pronto como llegamos nosotros. Me enfadé un poquito porque eso significaba que me iba a quedar por detrás del grupo. Mi lado competitivo empezó a mostrarse, pero intenté pensar de una forma racional. En las famosas palabras de Papi, “No importa él que llega antes, sino él que termina de comer su postre primero.”

When Christina and I began walking again, however, I realized it was better that I had stayed back with her instead of walking ahead with Gerardo. Christina was feeling very ill. After walking only a couple kilometers along the 12-kilometer path we were following, she asked me if she could stop for a minute. She immediately lied down on the ground and began to doze. After a few minutes she struggled back to her feet.
“Do you want me to call Gerardo and ask him to wait, you can go on ahead with him,” she asked.
“No, I’ll stick behind with you.


Cuando Cristina y yo empezamos otra vez a caminar, me di cuenta que fue mejor que me quedara con ella. Cristina se encontró bastante enferma. Después de caminar sólo un par de los 12 kilómetros que nos quedaba para el próximo pueblo, me pidió que nos paremos. Se echó en el suelo y empezó a dormir. Cuando pasaron unos minutos, Cristina hizo un esfuerzo para levantarse.
“¿Quieres que llame a Gerardo? Te puede esperar y puedes seguir con él.” Me dijo.
“No, no me importa quedar aquí contigo.”


Slowly, but surely, we did 2 kilometer stretches of the path from bench to bench and stopped so Christina could rest.
“This is such an ugly path, you must be sick of walking slowly with me.”
For me, actually, I didn’t think the path was at all ugly. It was straight and flat and, although there was nothing to see, the air was cool, there was no hint of the sound of cars or traffic and the birds were singing in the trees along our left. With increasing frequency, other pilgrims passed us as we stopped for Christina to lie down. I enjoyed the time to think and listen to the birds and feel the wind in the relative silence. Every now and then, Christina would say something, but for the most part we stayed quiet.
“I don’t mind this at all,” I said, “I feel pretty useless sometimes when we’re walking, so if all I can do is stay here and push you along, that is fine.”

Poco a poco, hicimos etapas de dos kilómetros entre los bancos que se encontraba en el Camino. En cada banco paramos para que Cristina se descansara.
“Que camino más feo, estarás arto de caminar tan lento conmigo.”
Para mí, de verdad, el camino no fue tan feo. El camino era recto y llano y, aunque no se veía nada, el aire estaba fresco, no había ruido de coches y se escuchaba los pájaros en los árboles a la izquierda del camino. Con más y más frecuencia, otros peregrinos nos pasaron mientras paramos para que Cristina se echara en los bancos. Yo desfrutaba de la oportunidad de pensar y de escuchar a los pájaros y el silencio. De vez en cuando, Cristina decía algo, pero por la mayor parte del tiempo nos quedamos callados.
“A mi no me importa,” le dije, “Muchas veces yo me siento inútil cuando caminamos. Si lo poco que puedo hacer yo es empujarte, pues me vale.”


When the rest of our group realized Christina was so ill, they waited for us at the end of the 12 kilometer path.
“OK, Niko should go with Rafa, then I’ll stay back with Christina and that will work out better.” Gerardo decided.
“No,” I decided, “I am sticking with Christina. Solidarity… is that the word in Spanish?”
“Cristina?” Gerardo asked.
“Niko comes with me.”
This time, however, everyone stuck together. We moved slowly, but as a united unit of pilgrims. Rafa took Christina’s backpack and we were surrounded by a group of 8 friends that carried us, if not physically, then emotionally.

Cuando los demás miembros del grupo se dieron cuenta de la enferma que estaba Cristina, nos esperaron al final de los 12 kilómetros.
“Venga, Niko caminará con Rafa y yo me quedaré por detrás con Cristina,” decidió Gerardo.
“No,” decidí yo, “Yo me quedo con Cristina. Solidaridad... ¿es cómo se dice en Español?”
“¿Cristina?” Preguntó Gerardo.
“Niko viene conmigo.”
Esta vez, sin embargo, todos nos quedamos juntos. Caminamos lentamente, pero como un grupo unido de peregrinos. Rafa llevó la mochila de Cristina y nos rodeó ocho amigos que nos llevó, si no de forma física, de forma emocional.


At the end of the day, I told Christina she owed me a huge favor. “Now all the pretty female pilgrims who passed us today when you were sleeping on me are going to have the wrong impression, so you need to tell all the pretty pilgrims that I am single,”
“OK, Niko!” Christina exclaimed, “We’ll make you a sign!”

Al acabar el día, le dije a Cristina que me debía un favor. “Ahora, todas las guapas peregrinas que nos pasaron hoy mientras dormías en mis piernas tendrán una mala impresión. Tienes que decirles a todas que yo estoy soltero.”
“¡Vale, Niko!” exclamó Cristina, “¡Te haremos un letrero!”

No comments:

Post a Comment