Camino Frances

Camino Frances
Picture provided by http://www.caminodesantiago.me.uk/camino-maps/

Sunday, August 5, 2012

30-07-2012 Ajes to Burgos

I felt something like a trader this morning as I set out from Ajes with a completely new group. Sentimental feelings of betrayal were quickly forgotten, however, as I realized that this group was comprised of mostly women! Before too long I found myself between a blond and a brunet and I couldn’t decide where to go!

Me sentí medio traidor esta mañana cuando salí de Ajes con un grupo diferente. ¡Estas sensaciones de ser traidor se me pasaron rápido, sin embargo, cuando me di cuenta de que el grupo consistía de mayor parte en mujeres! Antes de que pasara mucho rato, me encontré entre una morena y una rubia y no sabía por donde iba yo.


“You wanted to walk with me today, Niko, and you leave me for a couple women at the first opportunity!” Havi tells me. “I’d do the same!”

“¡Querías caminar conmigo, Niko, y a la primera oportunidad me dejes por unas mujeres!” Me dice Javi, “¡Yo haría lo mismo!”

I did start the day walking with Havi. Havi is a well trained man who works as a civil guard. We set out at a brisk pace from Ages and, a few kilometers out, we came across a steep climb. Most of Havi’s group was spread out before us as we began the climb, but by the end we were far ahead.
“He’s pushing me up this hill,” Havi explained to the group.

De verdad, empecé hoy caminando con Javi. Javi es un guardia civil bien entrenado. Salimos de Ajes con un ritmo bueno y, después de unos kilómetros, nos encontramos con una subida bien empinada. Aunque la mayoría del grupo de Javi estaba por delante cuando empezamos la subida, para el final nosotros dos íbamos por delante. “Me está empujando,” Javi explicó a su grupo.


AS we left Ages, Havi described for me the landscape. To our left spread out fields of sunflowers, nearly 2 meters in height. To the right, equally large fields of softer yellow wheat grew to about the height of our knees. The day was overcast and, as we climbed, first clouds and finally a blanket of white spread out beneath us. We stood on top of the vast white mattress as the sun began to rise.

Saliendo de Ajes, Javi me contó un poco del paisaje. A la izquierda había grandes campos de girasoles de dos metros de altura. A la derecha había campos igualmente grandes de trigo de unos 40 centímetros de altura. El día fue nublado y, mientras subíamos, primero los nubes y después una manta de blanco se veía por debajo. Nos paramos por encima de este gran colchón de blanco mientras salía el sol.


Havi came to the Camino for the first time in 2005. He had heard much about the Camino through various sources and was interested in experiencing it for himself. He said what most impressed him about the Camino was the sincerity of the people. He met an encredible group of people that first year and every year since he has met distinct, but equally amazing groups. The Camino is a symbiosis of people helping each other and living together, as apposed to our daily life in which each person goes his or her own way. When I asked Havi if he takes something from the Camino with him when he returns to his other life, his work and home, he told me, “Yes, I try to keep that sense of helping another person out, not needing to know them but helping them because they need help.”

Javi vino al Camino por primera vez en 2005. Había escuchado hablar del Camino por varias fuentes y quería experimentarlo por si mismo. Dijo que lo que más le impresionó del Camino fue la sinceridad de la gente. Ese primer año conoció a un grupo increíble de peregrinos y, cada vez que ha vuelta, ha conocido a grupos igual de bueno. El Camino es un simbiosis de personas desconocidas que ayuden una a otra y conviviendo, a diferencia de la vida diaria en la que cada va por su bola. Cuando le pregunté a Javi si lleva algo del Camino cuando vuelve a su otra vida, su trabajo y familia, me dijo, “Sí, intento ayudar a personas quien lo necesita, sin necesitar a conocerles pero ayudándoles porque les hace falta.”


After a couple hours walking with Havi, he mentioned that Carmina, another member of the group that had formed around him, had wanted to walk with me. Since Carmina sounds rather feminine and, well, a lady’s elbow is always preferable, I quickly agreed.

Después de un par de horas de caminar con Javi, me dijo que Carmina, una chica del grupo que se formó alrededor de Javi, también quería caminar comigo. Como Carmina me parece un nombre femenino y, pues, un codo femenino es siempre mejor, me puse de acuerdo en seguido.


Carmina is a teacher from Valencia with a very soft, soothing voice. Even when hiking, she sounds like she might fall asleep, but it is very endearing. This was her first time walking the Camino; after a very difficult year, she needed some time to think and to consider life. Surprisingly, all the problems she was having seemed to resolve themselves before she came to the Camino, but the Camino still offered her the chance to reflect.
“Before I came to the Camino, I would have never imagined myself sleeping in a huge room with so many people around. The Camino helps you to appreciate life, though. You learn that you don’t need many items and you appreciate the smallest things. A plate of rice with Tomato seems a gift. “Carmina told me. When I asked her what she would take with her from the Camino, she said, “The confirmation of my theory, that you don’t need much to live a happy life. And to value even those little moments.”


Carmina es una profesora de Valencia con una voz suave y melódica. Hasta cuando está caminando, parece que se va a quedar dormida, pero es una voz muy bonita. Esta es su primera vez en el Camino; después de un año muy difícil, le hacía falta un tiempo en el que podía pensar y considerar su vida. De repente, todos sus problemas parecían resolverse antes de venir al Camino, pero el Camino todavía le ofrecía la oportunidad para reflexionar. “Antes de venir al Camino, no me podría haber imaginado durmiendo en un cuarto grande con tantas personas. El Camino te enseña a apreciar las cosas, pequeñas aunque sean, de la vida. No necesitas tantas cosas y hasta un plato de arroz con tomate parece un regalo.” Cuando le pregunté lo que iba a llevar del Camino, me dijo, “La confirmación de mi teoría, que no hace falta muchas cosas para tener una vida feliz y apreciar cada momento.”


Carmina, as much as Havi, expressed sadness that we did not meet each other sooner on the Camino. Both are stopping today in Burgos and returning to their respective homes.

Tanto Carmina como Javi se expresó tristeza que no habíamos conocido antes en el Camino. Los dos vuelvan hoy, cada uno a su casa.


There was one more sad farewell tonight as it is Super Mario’s last evening with us. Tomorrow he will catch a bus back to Barcelona. As a farewell, we went out for pinchos and beers. Mario gave me an open invitation to visit him in Barcelona. “You come to Barcelona, Niko, and we’re going to eat Japanese food, some yaki-soba, and then go chill out with jinn and tonics. I’ll make you the best jinn and tonic you’ve ever had.”
We hugged and said our final farewells, and then Rafa and I went to sleep. Tomorrow we are waking up at 5:15 to get an early start.

Había una triste despedida más; hoy es el último día que Súper Mario estará con nosotros. Mañana, cogerá un autobús para Barcelona. Fuimos para tomar unas cervezas y pinchos. Mario me invitó a visitarle a Barcelona en cualquier momento, “Tú vienes a Barcelona, Niko, y nos vamos a hinchar de comida Japonesa, un poco de Yaki Soba y después vamos a chill out y tomamos un Jin tónica. Yo te hago el mejor Jin tónica que jamás has probado.” Nos abrazamos y despedimos por última vez, y Rafa y yo fuimos a acostar. Mañana nos levantamos a las 5:15 para empezar temprano el Camino.

No comments:

Post a Comment