Camino Frances

Camino Frances
Picture provided by http://www.caminodesantiago.me.uk/camino-maps/

Thursday, August 30, 2012

06-08-2012 Mansilla de las Mulas to León


The arrival to Leon completes one small circle within the pattern of circles that occur within our many Caminos. The first time I walked the Camino, in 2004, I started from Leon. So today I have returned to where I first began. Rafa, Pedro and I celebrated our arrival by stopping at the only restaurant we could find entering into the city, a Chinese restaurant, to wait for Christina and Gerardo to arrive.

La llegada a León cumplió un círculo pequeño del gran diseño de círculos que se forman dentro de nuestros Caminos. La primera vez que hice el Camino, en 2004, empecé desde León. Así que hoy he vuelto a donde empecé por primera vez. Rafa, Pedro y yo celebramos la llegada a León en un restaurante Chino que encontramos a la entrada de León mientras esperábamos a Cristina y Gerardo.


We had a quick breakfast in the bar attached to our hostel this morning before setting out. I began the day walking with Christina, but I felt I had been neglecting Rafa as of late. So with the secret code we had developed, I put up my two fingers and whistled. When Rafa returned the whistle, I quickly abandoned Cristina to walk awhile with my Spanish brother. After a coffee break at 9:00, Rafa and I decided to march double-time. We quickly left the others far behind. Since we had walked a few additional kilometers yesterday, today’s walk was short… but ugly. There was little to see other than the industrial outskirts of Leon.

Desayunamos rápidamente en un bar al lado de nuestro albergue esta mañana antes de salir. Yo empecé caminando con Cristina, pero sentí que tenía olvidado a Rafa últimamente. Así que di nuestro código secreto, levantando dos dedos y silbando. Cuando Rafa me silbó en contestación, abandoné a Cristina para caminar con mi hermano español. Después de tomar un café a las 9:00, Rafa y yo pusimos las pilas y, en seguida, dejamos a los demás por detrás. Como habíamos hecho un par de kilómetros más Aller, el camino de hoy fue corto pero feo. Sólo las afueras industriales de la ciudad.

Along the way, we crossed paths with a Canadian girl who came walking alone. Sergio, our Catalan brother una ultrea ampoya de vi siusplau, caught up with us and, in his words, tried to separate the sheep from the flock. “She has very pretty blue eyes.” Rafa and I left him to his work as we continued our march… whistling the music of Darth Vador as we walked.

Por el Camino, encontramos a una chica canadiense que venía caminando sola. Sergio, nuestro hermano Catalán una ultrea ampolla de vi siusplau, nos pilló y, en sus palabras, intentó separar la oveja de la manada. Rafa y yo dejamos que Sergio hiciera su trabajo y seguimos con la marcha, silbando la canción de Darth Vador.


AS Rafa and I strolled into Leon, now accompanied by Pedro, the large Cathedral rising above the city center was easily visible. We searched for a place along the Camino where we could wait for our friends. We drew closer and closer to the heart of Leon without finding a single bar or Cafeteria along the road where we could see the path. Finally, we found ourselves sitting in front of a Chinese restaurant, drinking cokes and eating food from our backpacks. When Cristina, Gerardo and Sergio finally caught up, I again took hold of Cristina and we continued to the municipal hostel.

Mientras entramos en León, ahora acompañado por Pedro, el catedral se veía subiendo sobre el centro de la ciudad. Buscamos un sitio al lado del Camino donde esperar a los amigos. Nos volvimos cada vez más cerca del centro sin encontrar a ningún bar ni cafetería donde pudimos ver el Camino. Por fin, nos encontramos en un restaurante chino, tomando coca cola y comiendo frutos secos de nuestras mochilas. Cuando Cristina, Sergio y Gerardo nos pillaron, me agarré a Cristina otra vez y seguimos para el albergue municipal.


At the hostel, the man checking pilgrims in came up to greet me. “I heard that you were coming, one of the pilgrims yesterday mentioned you. Would you mind if we interviewed you for our website?”
I told him that was fine, but that I wanted to shower first.
“Oh, no problem, later on.”

En el albergue, el hospitalero se me acercó para saludarme. “Sabíamos que venías tú. Aller, unos peregrinos nos hablaron de ti. ¿Podríamos hacerte una entrevista para nuestro sitio de Web?”
Le dije que sí, pero que quería ducharme primero.
“Sin problema, ahora después.”


So after I showered and washed my laundry, Rafa and I came downstairs to tend our wet clothing. The same man again approached me, “I just found out that you came accompanied by a girl, Christina; maybe we will take her testimonial instead.”
“OK, as you wish.”
“Is this Christina pretty?”
“I suppose so, she has nice elbows.”

Después de ducharnos y lavar la ropa, Rafa y yo bajamos otra vez para tender la ropa mojada. El mismo hombre me acercó, “Me acabo de enterar que viniste caminando con una mujer, Cristina; a lo mejor tomamos su testimonio en vez de la entrevista.”
“Como quieras.”
“Esta Cristina, ¿está guapa?”
“Bueno, supongo que sí. Tiene buen codo.”


No interview readily apparent, we decided to have lunch and walk around Leon. Our somewhat aggressive and martial arts obsessed friend, Adam, who we had met several days before decided he would join us.
“Let’s go have a beer,” Adam suggested.
“No, we need to eat lunch,” Rafa explained.
“No, have a beer with me first. Beer is more important. Women are most important, then food.”
“No,” Rafa patiently told Adam, “We are hungry; we are going to have some food.”
“But going to find women is more important than food.”
“We don’t have energy enough to do anything with women, even if we could find women, we are hungry.”

Sin una entrevista pendiente, decidimos comer y dar una vuelta de León. Nuestro amigo Adam, el chico agresivo y obsesionado con las artes marciales que conocimos hace un par de días, decidió acompañarnos.
“Vamos a tomar una cerveza,” dijo Adam.
“No, vamos a comer,” explicó Rafa.
“No, venidos a tomar una cerveza conmigo; es más importante. Lo más importante son las mujeres, después a comer.”
“No,” Rafa dijo con mucha paciencia, “Tenemos hambre. Vamos a comer.”
“Pero buscar a mujeres es más importante que comer.”
“Aunque encontráramos a mujeres, no tenemos energía para hacer cosas con ellas. Tenemos que comer.”

So Rafa and I collected Cristina, who was separated from us due to the hostel’s policy of men and women sleeping in different rooms, and we went to look for Gerardo. Gerardo decided to treat himself to a night in a fancy, private hostel. As we left, Adam followed us close behind. I could hear him say to Rafa, “That Cristina, she is prettier than I remember.” Adam didn’t follow us long, however, because he quickly realized we were going to eat lunch. Somehow, despite our previous conversation, he didn’t realize we were going to get food. He still thought we were going to have a beer.

Así que Rafa y yo recogemos a Cristina, la cual estaba separada de nosotros gracias al sistema de este albergue que manda que las mujeres y los hombres duerman en diferentes cuartos. Fuimos entonces a buscar a Gerardo, quien decidió dormir en un albergue privado esta noche. Adam nos siguió. Le escuché decir a Rafa, “Esa chica, Cristina, es más guapa de lo que recuerdo.” Adam, sin embargo, no nos siguió mucho tiempo. Se fue cuando se dio cuenta de que íbamos a comer. De alguna forma, después de nuestra conversación de hace 10 minutos, Adam todavía no había entendido que íbamos a comer.


We returned to the hostel to check our clothing and make a few phone calls. At 6:45, as we were preparing to leave to meet Estrella and celebrate her birthday, the hostel worker finally approached me. “We were looking for you all afternoon; would you mind doing the interview now?”

Volvimos al albergue para recoger a nuestra ropa tendida y para hacer unas llamadas de teléfono. A las 6:45, justo cuando íbamos a salir para quedar con Estrella y celebrar su cumpleaños, me buscó el hospitalero. “Llevamos toda la tarde buscándote; ¿Podemos hacerte la entrevista ahora?”

So for the next hour I was interviewed about my experiences on the Camino and my reasons for traveling. At first, a completely unknown woman sat down beside me.
“I am writing a book about the Camino,” she told me, “I am 64 years old and I can not walk the Camino myself, but a friend suggested I come to this hostel and talk to the pilgrims.”
We began to discuss my reasons for coming to the Camino. Primarily, the woman wanted to focus on the importance of the Camino as a solitary journey.
“Do you walk alone?” she asked me.
“No,” I explained, “That would be nearly impossible. I could not find the yellow arrows and I would not know where to go. I walk holding someone’s elbow.”
“Oh, and do you speak to each other when you walk?”
“Sometimes we talk, sometimes we walk in silence. Some people feel the need to talk when we are walking together.”
“That is what I wanted to know,” the woman said, “The Camino is meant to be a solo journey with much time to think in silence and find yourself.”
“I do not agree,” I quickly said, “Many people come to the Camino alone, but most people I have met find themselves walking with other people. Each person has something to teach us and, after all, humans are social reflections of the ways in which we interact.”

Durante una hora, me entrevistaron sobre mis motivos por venir al Camino y las experiencias que he tenido. Al principio, una mujer desconocida se sentó a mi lado.
“Estoy escribiendo un libro sobre el Camino,” me dijo, “Tengo 64 años y no puedo caminar yo misma, pero unos amigos me dijeron que viniera al albergue para hablar con los peregrinos.”
Empezamos hablando de mis motivos por hacer el Camino. Por la mayor parte, la mujer quería concentrarse en la idea del Camino como un viaje solitario.
“¿Tú caminas sólo?” me preguntó.
“No,” le expliqué. “Sería casi imposible que yo camine sólo. No puedo ver las flechas y no sé donde ir. Suelo caminar tocando el codo de alguna persona. “
“ahh, ¿y vais hablando?”
“A veces hablamos, a veces caminamos en silencio, depende del Día. Mucha gente se siente obligada a hablar cuando estamos caminando juntos.”
“Eso es lo que quería saber,” dijo la mujer, “el Camino debe de ser un viaje solitario con silencio y mucho tiempo para pensar.”
“No estoy de acuerdo,” le dije, “Mucha gente viene al Camino sólo, pero la mayoría se encuentra caminando con otras personas. Cada persona tiene algo que enseñarnos y, al fin y el cabo, los ser humanos son sociales y reflejos de sus interacciones.”


For several minutes we argued back and forth on the purpose of the Camino. I found it interesting that this woman, who had never done the Camino, argued with me that the Camino was a solo journey meant to be walked alone. I disagree with this statement. Yes, there are some people who do make the Camino alone, but I have found that most people are not looking for solitude. You can stay in your home and be alone. You can walk around the city and be alone. In the Camino, however, people are searching for reflections of themselves. Maybe not everyone, but many people come to the Camino to find themselves not alone, but find themselves in front of a new and unfamiliar group, but a group who is willing to accept, with open arms, any person. You do not live life alone, nor do you walk the Camino alone.

Durante varios minutos discutimos el verdadero propósito del Camino. Me pareció interesante que una mujer que no había hecho el Camino me estaba diciendo que el Camino es un viaje solitario que uno debe de hacer sólo. Yo creo que no. Sí, hay personas que pueden hacer el Camino sólo. Pero la mayoría no está buscando la solidad. Te puedes quedar en casa sólo. Te puedes dar vueltas de la ciudad y estar sólo. En el Camino, buscamos nuestros reflejos. Quizás no todos, pero muchos vienen para encontrarse. No sólo, pero encontrar su ser frente de personas desconocidas, pero personas que están dispuestas a recibir con brazos abiertos. No vivimos la vida sólo, tampoco caminamos sólo.


Despite our disagreements, we came to a general understanding that the Camino is about finding yourself, but using the teachings of other people. She told me that I would appear in her book as a character along the Camino. Why not, now I’m a character in a book.

A pesar de nuestras diferencias, nos pusimos de acuerdo en que el camino es para encontrarse a si mismo, pero a través de lo que nos enseña cada persona en el Camino. Me dijo que yo apareceré en su libro como personaje en el Camino. ¿Por qué no? Ahora soy personage de un libro.


The man running the hostel then asked me the loaded question: “What about Christina’s elbow?”

Ahora, el hospitalero me hizo la pregunta más cargada. “¿Qué hay en el codo de Cristina?”


Without any hesitation, I launched into my prepared speech, “You see, you have to understand, a female elbow is softer and nicer than a man’s elbow. You can feel the movement through a female elbow, how she moves her hips and the way the path is.” During my extremely serious explanation, Christina and Rafa were laughing loudly in the background. The man had asked this question, perhaps expecting a serious answer about the relationship I had formed with Cristina, or how Cristina was a kind gentle person. Nope. I just like walking with the ladies.

Sin pausar, empecé con el discurso que había preparado. “Lo que tienes que entender es que el codo femenino es más suave que el codo masculino. Puedes sentir, por su codo, su forma de mover las caderas y así tal y como está el suelo y el Camino.”
Durante mi discurso, Cristina y Rafa se pusieron a reír. El hospitalero me había hecho la pregunta, quizás esperando una respuesta acerca de la relación que tenía con Cristina. Quizás esperaba que dijera yo que Cristina era una persona simpática y tal y cual. No. Es que yo prefiero caminar con mujeres.


It is also important to mention here that, during this entire interview, my somewhat unstable friend who likes ninjitsu and does push ups everywhere, Adam, was doing push ups, jumping like a tiger, and doing headstands three meters from the camera. It was obvious he wanted attention and it was equally obvious he wasn’t going to get it. Accept from Christina and Rafa, who said they enjoyed watching his antics as much as they did listening to the interview, perhaps even more.

Es importante mencionar que, durante toda la entrevista, nuestro amigo loco que le gusta el ninjitsu y hace flexiones, Adam, estaba haciendo flexiones y saltando como un tigre a tres metros de la camera. Era obvio que quería estar entrevistado también. Era también obvio que nadie le iba a entrevistar. Cristina y Rafa me dijeron después que desfrutaron tanto de ver las tonterías de Adam como escuchar la entrevista.

1 comment:

  1. Meeting and connecting with new people is the best part!

    ReplyDelete