Camino Frances

Camino Frances
Picture provided by http://www.caminodesantiago.me.uk/camino-maps/

Thursday, August 30, 2012

04-08-2012 Ledigos to Verzanillos Del Camino


We will we will…. Bless you? A hippy hostel where being Christian is cooool! Well, thanks to their singing it’s going to rain tomorrow. At least the food is free.

Vamos a, Vamos a… ¿mendigarte? Un albergue hippy donde ser cristiano está ¡uay! Pues, su gracias a su canto creo que va a llover mañana. De todas formas la cena fue gratis.


Today I left Ledigos walking with Rafa. I felt the need to venture off a little, however, so we went in search of a South African man who had been walking at our pace for a couple days. I was interested to speak with him about his trip to the Camino. After our normal coffee break, I asked Martin if I might walk a while with him. He was more than happy for the company.

Salí de Ledigo hoy caminando con Rafa. Sentí la necesidad de explorar un poquito, sin embargo, y fuimos en búsqueda de un hombre de Sudáfrica que había mantenido nuestro paso durante varios días. Me interesaba hablar con él acerca de su viaje al Camino. Después de una parada para tomar café, le pedí a Martín que caminara un poco con él. Pareció muy contento de tener la compañía.

Martin is from a town in South Africa where he is one of two ministers. Everyone in the town knows him for his roll as a minister and Martin was looking for an opportunity to escape for a while and be himself. “If you go to the beach for a couple weeks, maybe the people think that is really nice and they don’t understand why you are going. But if I go to the Camino, then they think it’s something more than a vacation.”
Martin explained to me that he had several possibilities for his life. He could have been an engineer as easily as a minister. In fact, his wife had encouraged him to pursue other jobs. But ministry was something that called to Martin. Unfortunately, due to his roll as the minister, people look at him in a different light. He is never just Martin, he is always the minister. The Camino was a chance for Martin to come and be himself without anyone knowing who he was. At first, he spent time alone. Other pilgrims quickly began speaking with him, however, especially after a particularly difficult day. Martin said that this was so important. He was able to see that people treated him not for his role as the minister, but for his personality and way of being. This was exactly the confirmation Martin was looking for. Now there is no doubt in his mind that ministry is the right path for his life.

Martín es de un pueblo de Sudáfrica donde él es uno de los dos curas. En su pueblo, todo el mundo le conoce por su papel y Martín quería la oportunidad de escapar y ser si mismo durante un rato. “Si te vas a la playa durante unas semanas, todo el mundo piensa “ah que bien” y nadie lo entiende, pero si te VAS AL Camino, la gente piensa que es algo más que una vacación.”
Martín me explicó que tenía varias posibilidades para su vida. Podría haber sido ingeniero tanto como cura. De hecho, su esposa le decía que buscara otro oficio. Pero el trabajo de cura era algo que siempre llamaba a Martín. Desafortunadamente, gracias a su papel como cura, todo el mundo lo mira por ciertas lenzas. No es Martín, es el cura. El Camino le ofreció la oportunidad de ser si mismo, de ser Martín sin que nadie le conociera. Al principio, iba sólo. Dentro de poco, sin embargo, la gente le empezaba a hablar, sobretodo después de un día difícil en el Camino. Martín me dijo que eso fue tan importante. La gente le trataba según su forma de ser y no su papel como cura. Es justo la confirmación que iba buscando. Ahora está seguro de que ser cura es el Camino correcto para su vida.

What Martin and I talked about was very interesting because I am coming to similar conclusions, but from a very different direction. I came to the Camino knowing that everyone would recognize me. It is impossible for me to walk without other pilgrims seeing me, talking about me, and recognizing me for who I am. I’m the blind pilgrim. The challenge for me, however, was to put myself in a place where everyone sees me and somehow discover that they treat me in a certain way not because of my blindness, but for my personality and way of being. It is interesting to find that we all connect on the Camino. In a way, we are all asking ourselves the same questions: who are we. Every pilgrim I meet seems to be asking him or herself one of the same questions I ask myself and, because of that, we all connect.

Lo que hablamos Martín y yo fue muy interesante porque yo estoy llegando a algunos de las mismas conclusiones pero por otras direcciones. Yo vine al Camino sabiendo que todo el mundo me iba a reconocer. ES imposible que camine yo sin que la gente me vea, hable de mí y me reconozca. Soy el peregrino ciego. El reto mío es ponerme en esta situación donde todo el mundo me reconoce y, de alguna forma entender que la gente me trata según mi forma de ser y no mi discapacidad. Es interesante ver que somos todos conectados en el Camino. Somos todos preguntándonos la misma cosa, “¿quien soy yo?” Cada peregrino que conozco parece preguntarse una de las mismas cosas que me pregunto a mi mismo y eso nos une.


Martin had originally thought to continue on past where Rafa and I were stopping, but he decided to stay with us in the hostel in Verzanillos Del Camino. The hostel is run on donations only. In the evenings, the people gather to sing religious music and prepare a communal supper. Though the food was only average, the atmosphere was interesting. All the pilgrims gathered in a big cafeteria to eat and talk. I met pilgrims from Poland, Brazil, Canada and other parts of Spain. When it became time to say grace, the people running the hostel lead us in a strange blessing that followed the beat of a rock song. Afterwards, we went outside to watch the sunset and someone began playing the guitar. Unfortunately, the singing wasn’t so good, so I’m afraid it’s going to rain.


Al principio, Martín había pensado en seguir más adelante del pueblo donde Rafa y yo íbamos a parar, pero decidió quedarse con nosotros en el albergue de Verzanillos del Camino. El albergue es donativo y, por las tardes, la gente se une para cantar música religiosa y preparar una cena. Aunque la comida fue regular, el ambiente fue interesante. Todos los peregrinos se juntaron en un comedor grande. Conocí a peregrinos de Polonia, Brasil, de Canadá y de otras partes de España. Cuando lleguemos al momento de bendicir la comida, los hospitaleros nos cantaron una bendición que seguía el ritmo de una canción de rock. Después, salimos afuera para ver el anochecer y alguien empezó a tocar la guitarra. Desafortunadamente, su canto fue malo y ya nos va a llover.

No comments:

Post a Comment