Camino Frances

Camino Frances
Picture provided by http://www.caminodesantiago.me.uk/camino-maps/

Thursday, August 2, 2012

28-07-2012 Santo domingo de la Alcazaba to Belorado

Sábado Sabadete, ropa mueva y un pulvete
Saturday Saturdaction, new clothes and maybe some action. My little family is devoted to teaching me only the worst possible Spanish language.

Mi pequeña familia se ha puesto a enseñarme sólo los dichos más malos del idioma.


I devoted today to walking with Mario. He asked me to interview him, for my”book” since he only has a couple days before his Camino must end. I haven’t been interviewing people, as such, up until now. I have been letting the conversation flow and following whatever line of conversation seems most interesting. Today, however, I asked Mario why he was walking the Camino. He seemed anxious to talk about it and I was very interested to hear what he had to say.

Dediqué el día de hoy a caminar con Mario. Me pidió que le entrevistara para mi “libro” porque él sólo tiene un par de días más en el Camino. Hasta ahora, no he hecho entrevistas tal y cual, he dejado que la conversación nos lleva donde quiera. Hoy, sin embargo, hice una verdadera entrevista con Mario. Me pareció que tenía muchas ganas de hablar de sus razones por haber caminado el Camino y, por mi parte, tenía muchas ganas de escuchar.


“I was walking so much in Madrid, after I got out of my job just walking and going round in round in my head that I thought, well, why not just go to the Camino where I can walk as much as I want.”
Mario is stuck in a situation he is trying to find his way out of. He has been with his wife for fifteen years (only married for the past six.) He has grown up with this person, they have shared so much, but he is terribly unhappy. He is unhappy with the way she treats him and he is unhappy with his own way of reacting. Just recently, they decided to get a divorce. The problem is that he is stuck. He has the ticket that has been attached to him, the label that people have associated with him. ON the Camino, you can start all your relations over from zero.

“Estaba yo caminando tanto en Barcelona. Salía de mi trabajo y me puse a caminar, dando vueltas de la mente y comiéndome el coco. Al final pensé por que no me voy al Camino donde puedo caminar tanto como quiero.”
Mario se encuentra en una situación de la que no puede salir. Lleva 15 años con su pareja, casados durante los últimos 6 años. Han crecido juntos y han compartido tanto, pero Mario no está contento. No está contento con la manera de la que le trata su mujer ni con sus propias reacciones. Hace poco, se han decidido separarse. Pero sigue atrapado. Lleva una etiqueta que todo el mundo lo conoce. En el Camino, uno puede empezar desde cero.


In the Camino, there is no label, you come as just Mario. In daily life, when something bothers you, too often do we just keep quiet. We keep quiet and keep quiet and tension builds up inside of us. We are not honest from the start and at some point it becomes too late to change. I asked Mario if he was going to try to be a different person when he goes back. He was uncertain if it was possible. It’s that label. He knows that he will never meet another group of people like the ones he has met on this Camino.

En el Camino, no llevamos etiquetas. Vienes como Mario, y ya está. En la vida diaria, nos callamos cuando algo nos molesta. Nos callamos y nos callamos y la presión se vuelve cada vez más fuerte por dentro. No somos honestos del principio y, en algún momento, se vuelve imposible cambiar. Le pregunté a Mario si iba a mantener los cambios que ha sentido en el Camino a su vida normal. Me dijo que lo veía difícil. Me dijo que jamás conocerá a un grupo como el que conoció en este Camino.


Back home, his family and friends know him and it will be too easy to fall back under that label. Plus, it will be tough to take the decision and separate from his wife. Mario told me I am one of the people he has come to admire most on the Camino, because I have no problems. I told him I do, but that my problems are all in my head and I keep them quiet. I told him my problems are with confidence. He immediately tried to tell me to do those same things he himself has trouble doing.

En su casa, su familia ya le conoce y es fácil que le ponga otra vez su etiqueta. Además, la separación de su pareja será muy difícil. Mario me dijo que soy yo una de las personas que más admira del Camino. Me dijo que parece que yo no tengo ningún problema. Le dije que sí, que tengo problemas pero los tengo dentro de mi cabeza. Le dije también que mis problemas tengo mucho que ver con mi confianza. Me dijo Mario que yo tengo que hacer las mismas cosas que le cuestan a él.


“Don’t hesitate to act normal, speak normal and be normal. People will like you for it, or they can fuck themselves.” Mario told me that people seem to like me for the strength I have and that strength, in itself, comes from my blindness. People don’t like to be with me because they pity me or want to take care of me, they are with me because they respect me. That is why, he says, Cristina spends so much of her time walking with me. Of course, when people first meet me, they won’t know how to react. That will only be 20 seconds though. The important thing is to act the way I am and not worry about the rest.


“No te preocupes por llevarte de alguna forma. Haz lo que quieras, digas lo que quieras, la gente te va a gustar por eso y, si no, que se jode.” Mario me dijo que a la gente le gusto por mi fuerza y por mi espíritu y esa misma fuerza viene de mi discapacidad. La gente no quiere caminar conmigo porque se siente mal por mí, es por que me respeta mucho. Es por eso, me dijo Mario, que Cristina quiere caminar conmigo tanto. Claro que, cuando una persona me conoce, no sabrá que pensar. Pero eso dura unos 20 segundos. Tengo que ser tal y como soy y olvidarme de lo demás.


Mario is very concerned about the idea of acting and thinking and feeling the way you are, not trying to change it or hide it. It is something he seems to have failed with in his day to day, but it is something he loves about the Camino. That chance to start from scratch. Mario has a lot of anger, but at the same time he wants to be able to express his anger or his way of talking or acting without worrying that the other person will close up or won’t stand firm. This requires the other person to have a strong character, though. He seems over all disappointed with the fact that a part of his life is ending and he hasn’t fully come to terms with what that means. It is definitely a change he needs and one he feels coming. It is just the tearing apart of the good and bad memories that worries him. The separating pictures and objects and the house and the car. You can get used to living without her, he told me, but you can never forget her.


Mario pone mucha importancia en la idea de actuar, pensar y hablar tal y como eres. Es algo que le cuesta mucho en la vida diaria pero es algo que le encanta del Camino. Esa oportunidad de empezar de cero. Mario es una persona que se enfada, pero quiere poder enfadar, decir lo que está pensando y actuar de su forma sin que otra gente se sierre. Eso requiere que la otra persona también sea fuerte de carácter. Mario me parece triste que una etapa de su vida se está terminando. Todavía no sabe que pensar, aunque reconoce que es un cambio que le hace falta. Lo que le preocupa es la separación de las memorias en las buenas y las malas; repartiendo las fotos, la casa y el coche. Te puedes acostumbrar a vivir sin ella, me dijo, pero jamás la puedes olvidar.

I can’t help but feel that, of all the people I have met on the Camino, Mario and I have perhaps the most in common. Mario expresses his emotions much more clearly, he wears his heart on his sleeve. I tend to keep a straight face and bight my tongue. But inside, I think we have many of the same fears. Perhaps, do to my life of traveling, I have had more opportunities to work through these same problems that Mario is now confronting.

Creo que, dentro de todas las personas que he conocido en el Camino, Mario y yo tenemos más en común. Mario se expresa mucho, lleva todo por fuera, mientras yo me callo mucho. Pero dentro de nuestros corazones, tenemos los mismos miedos. Quizás, por el hecho de haber viajado tanto, he tenido yo más oportunidades de trabajar estos problemas que Mario ahora está confrontando.


Much more happened in the evening, but I feel it would be very trite and impolite to take away from the emotion and energy Mario put into telling me his own personal story. So I will save the rest for tomorrow’s introduction.

Mucho más pasó durante la tarde, pero me parece de muy mala educación que distrae de la emoción que Mario me ha transmitido con cosas tontas e irrelevantes.

No comments:

Post a Comment