Camino Frances

Camino Frances
Picture provided by http://www.caminodesantiago.me.uk/camino-maps/

Thursday, September 6, 2012

13-08-2012 La Laguna to Triacastela


“I am pretty sure I swore to never eat rice again when I left Japan. I hate white rice.”

“Estoy casi seguro de que, cuando me fui de Japón, juré que jamás volvería a comer arroz. No aguanto arroz blanco.”


“Niko, you and I are the only two people who have survived this Camino without any problems; the old man and the blind guy. We’re the strongest pilgrims!”
These were Papi’s parting words to me last night as he prepared to catch a taxi for Astorga. Oh how the mighty have fallen; I awoke this morning (and several times during the night) with the same stomach virus that attacked Rafa and Estrella yesterday. I had a delicious breakfast of orange Aquarius and nothing more.

“Niko, tú y yo somos los únicos que han pasado todo el Camino sin problema: el viejo y el ciego. Somos los peregrinos más fuertes.”
Estas fueron las últimas palabras que me dijo Gerardo antes de que cogiera el Taxi para Astorga anoche. Mientras más alto el pedestal, más distancia hay para caer; esta mañana me desperté (y varias veces por la noche) con el mismo virus de estómago que echó de bajo a Rafa y Estrella ayer. Me desayuné con un buen Aquarius de naranja y nada más.


I remember very little of today’s hike, save small, disconnected episodes. It is most likely I was running a fever during the latter half of the walk. We began our day by climbing the 2 kilometers that remained until O Cebreiro. As we crested the mountain, we entered a foggy world that seemed somewhat empty. The night before we had heard that there were so many pilgrims in O Cebreiro that they were sleeping in the entrance of the church. Now, however, the small village seemed deserted.

Me acuerdo poco más que unos episodios sueltos del Camino de hoy. Lo más probable es que tenía una fiebre durante la segunda mitad de la caminata. Empezamos hoy subiendo los dos kilómetros que nos quedaron para llegar a O Cebreiro. Cuando alcanzamos lo alto de la subida, entramos en un mundo de niebla que nos pareció vasillo. Anoche, escuchamos que había tantos peregrinos en O Cebreiro que algunos tenían que dormir en el portal de la iglesia. Ahora, sin embargo, el pueblo estaba abandonado.


The Camino between O Cebreiro and Triacastela is rarely flat. There are two important climbs: the alto de San Roque and the Alto de Poio. Past this second steep ascent, the Camino steadily continues downward with many small, loose rocks to annoy the hell out of the sick pilgrim. Normally, this would have been a day of hiking I might have enjoyed… today, however, my body quickly began to ache with each badly placed step.

El camino entre O Cebreiro y Triacastela es poco llano. Hay dos subidas importantes: el alto de San Roque y El Alto de Poio. Pasado esta segunda subida empinada, el camino baja con muchas piedras sueltas para molestar al peregrino enfermo. En un día normal, esto hubiera sido una caminata que me habría gustado; hoy, sin embargo, mi cuerpo me dolía con cada paso mal pisado.


Two rather odd memories do stick out in lurid clarity. Firstly, the strange friar or perhaps clergyman, priest, some sort of religious figure who was working at a church some short distance past O Cebreiro. I believe this was the church of Liñares. This man was quite warm and friendly and, very obviously, lonely.
“The pilgrim’s along this stretch of the Camino don’t have time to stop and talk,” he told us, “They are all in such a hurry to run to the next town and find lodging. It’s really such a shame; I am hoping to be transferred to a church somewhere earlier along the Camino.”
The man proceeded to ask us about the small towns we passed along the Camino near Burgos. He seemed keen to find a place where pilgrims might be more interested in stopping, chatting, and entertaining him. If we ourselves hadn’t been in such a hurry to reach Triacastela, we might have stopped for a longer visit.

Dos memorias se destacan con mucha claridad. Primero, el fraile, o quizás cura, ¿clérigo? El Hombre de religión que trabajaba en una iglesia un poco pasada O Cebreiro. Creo que la iglesia era del pueblo de Liñares. El hombre era amable y simpático y muy muy sólo.
“Los peregrinos por esta parte del Camino no tienen tiempo para hablar,” nos dijo. “tienen tanta prisa para llegar a siguiente pueblo y buscar alojamiento. Es una lastima; espero estar trasladado a otra iglesia más al principio del camino.”
El hombre seguía, preguntándonos sobre los pueblos cercanos a Burgos. Quería encontrar un pueblo donde les interesaría a los peregrinos parar, charlar, y distraer al hombre. Si nosotros no tuviéramos tanta prisa para llegar a Triacastela, a lo mejor habríamos quedado más tiempo.


“You could tell he really wanted to get rid of us,” Rafa commented, “He must have had lots of things to do.”
“Yes,” I agreed, “He seemed to be in a hurry, barely spoke a word to us.”

“Se nota que quería que nos fuéramos,” dijo Rafa. “Tendrá muchas cosas para hacer.”
“Sí,” le respondí, “Tenía mucha prisa ese hombre, casi no nos hablaba ni siquiera.”


The other strange event which stands out vividly is the massive number of Italian pilgrims we passed. Somewhere around mid morning, we came across a group of nearly 200 Italian pilgrims. All of them walked slowly, carrying small bags and singing loudly. They appeared to have just gotten off a bus. None of them showed the sunburns or dirty clothes typical of the rest of us pilgrims.
“Autobusigrinos.”

El otro episodio raro que me acuerdo bien es la cantidad increíble de peregrinos italianos en el Camino. Por la media mañana, pasamos por un grupo de casi 200 peregrinos italianos. Venían caminando lentos y cantando, con mochilas pequeñas; parecía que habían acabado de bajar de un autobús. Ninguno tenía ni la quemadura del sol ni la ropa sucia que era típico de los demás peregrinos.
“Autobusigrinos.”


I am not sure how I made it to Triacastela. I believe it was a combination of Rafa’s pure driving force, Cristina’s frequent hugs and my own stubborn resolve not to stop moving. Regardless, when we arrived to the hostel in Triacastela, I immediately lie down and fell asleep. Some five hours later I woke up feeling weak and shaky from the lack of food. Cristina and Rafa both had come to check on me during the time I had been sleeping, but I neither moved nor woke up when they touched my arm and spoke to me.

No sé como llegué a Triacastela. Creo que era una combinación de la fuerza de Rafa, los abrazos frecuentes de Cristina y el hecho de que jamás me rendiría. De todas formas, cuando llegué al albergue en Triacastela, me eché en la cama y no volví a levantarme durante cinco horas. Cuando me desperté, era débil por la falta de comer. Rafa y Cristina vinieron a verme mientras dormía, pero ni me moví ni me desperté cuando me tocaron el brazo y me hablaron.


For dinner, there was rice. Rice with carrot and… I don’t even know. I ate a small portion and went straight back to sleep.

Para Cenar, había arroz. Arroz con zanahoria y algo más. Comí un plato pequeño y me volví a la cama.

No comments:

Post a Comment