Camino Frances

Camino Frances
Picture provided by http://www.caminodesantiago.me.uk/camino-maps/

Thursday, September 20, 2012

17-08-2012 Palas do Ria to Arzua

“OK, Ainara, I’ll tell you what you’re going to eat. You are going to want the pasta salad with crab. Pasta is good, you need the carbohydrates, and crab is full of protein. You listen to Niko, I know these things.”

“Bueno, Ainara, yo te digo lo que vas a comer. Vas a querer la ensalada de pasta con cangrejo. La pasta está bien porque tiene carbohidratos y el cangrejo lleva proteína que te hace falta. Tú escuchas a Niko yo lo entiendo.”


For the first time in several days, I was able to sleep an entire night without waking up to stomach pains. My diet was officially over and I could eat once again! I celebrated by having thick Galician toast with marmalade for breakfast.

Por la primera vez desde hace tres días dormí una noche entera sin despertarme con dolores de estómago. La dieta se ha acabado y ya podía comer otra vez. Lo celebré comiendo el pan grueso de Galicia con mermelada.

The scheduled Camino today was one of the longer stages we have done at 31.5 kilometers, but was also one of the most enjoyable. Our reservation in Arzua was already confirmed, our group was again united and we were entering into some of the best octopus country. What more could one ask for? Though I began the day walking with Cristina, I soon joined Rafa. It had been several days since Rafa and I had walked together and I whistled in our designated code and dropped back to join my brother. As we walked, Ainara and Carlos began speaking with a man named Humi who cheerfully chatted about anything. He reminded me a little of Papi Gerardo in his ability to converse about any subject. The three of them went on ahead a little while Cristina, Rafa and I hung back to chat.
“Niko, of all of us, you are the person who has shared the least about himself. You have spoken very little about personal things,” Rafa commented to me.

La etapa de hoy era uno de los más largos que hemos hecho con 31.5 kilómetros, pero también era uno de los que más desfruté. Ya teníamos reserva para hoy, el grupo estaba unido otra vez e íbamos entrando en tierra de pulpo. ¿Qué más se puede pedir? Aunque empecé el día caminando con Cristina, pronto cambié para estar con Rafa. Hacía varios días que no habíamos caminado juntos y silbé nuestro código y volví atrás para caminar con mi hermano. Mientras caminábamos, Ainara y Carlos se pusieron a hablar con Humi, un hombre que charlaba de cualquier cosa. Me recordó un poco de Papi Gerardo en su forma de hablar de muchos temas. Ellos tres seguían un poco por delante y Cristina, Rafa y yo nos quedamos atrás para hablar de nuestras cosas.
“Niko, de todos nosotros, eres tú él que menos ha hablado. No nos has contado muchas cosas personales,” me comentó Rafa.


It was true. I had shared very little of my personal feelings, thoughts and doubts with my fellow pilgrims. Rafa’s comment made me feel quite bad. I felt that, by not speaking more openly, I was not trusting in my friends. This was not the case at all, however. Cristina and Rafa had become like family… even closer than family. For the last month we had walked with each other every day, sharing the best and worst moments of the Camino. I am just not a person who has the habit of sharing personal feelings with other people; speaking is not something I find easy regardless of whether it be with close friends or strangers.
“Well, Niko, now is your chance. We are alone; other people can’t hear… start talking.”

Era la verdad. Había compartido muy poco de mis sentamientos, pensamientos y deudas con mis compañeros peregrinos. Su comentario me hizo sentir muy mal. Sentí que, por no haber compartido cosas con ellos, era como si no les confiara. Eso no era el caso, sin embargo. Rafa y Cristina se habían vuelto como familia, aún más cercanos que familia. Durante un mes, habíamos caminado juntos todos los días, compartiendo los mejores y peores momentos del Camino. Es que no soy tipo que comparte sentamientos personales con otra gente; hablando me cuesta igual si está con amigos o desconocidos.
“Pues, Niko, ahora es tu oportunidad; estamos solos y los demás no nos escuchan. Habla.”

It took me time to figure out what I wanted to say…. Or even how to begin speaking.
“Well, I guess what worries me is the same thing that worries everyone else. I worry about being alone, about finding relationships and so forth. The normal fears and worries that everyone else has. But with me it’s more complicated. I’m always afraid of people pitying me or respecting me too much. Within my head, I’m just a normal person. Nothing that I do is great or extraordinary. I’m just living my life. But when I meet people, they either respect me or pity me because I’m blind. You can’t have a normal relationship based on that.”
“What you’re saying,” Rafa interjected, “Is that you view yourself as normal and you want to be respected as a normal person.”
“Yes; it sounds simple and stupid, but that is how it is. It’s hard for me to meet people under normal circumstances. I’m not the type who is going to go out to a bar and meet some girl, for example, it just doesn’t work. There are too many things that I miss, visual cues and so forth. It’s hard to meet people without blindness becoming an instant factor in the conversation.”
“Well,” Cristina said, “I am not the type who meets people at bars. That isn’t so unusual.”
“Niko,” Rafa added, “You are not a normal person. Even if you could see, you wouldn’t be a normal person. That is the quality that is special about you. That is the quality that makes you Niko. Rather than avoid that, you should accept that.”

Tardé un tiempo en decidir lo que quería decir y aún más en empezar.
“Pues, supongo que lo que me preocupe es lo que preocupa a todos. Me preocupo estar sólo y encontrar una relación y tal. Las mismas preocupaciones que tienen todos. Pero conmigo es más complicado. Me temo que la gente me lastime o me respete demasiado. Dentro de mi cabeza, soy una persona normal. Ninguna cosa que hago es maravillosa o extraordinaria; yo estoy viviendo mi vida tal y como quiero y ya está. Pero muchas veces, cuando conozco a una gente nueva, o me respecta o me tiene pena porque soy ciego. No puedes tener una relación normal basada en eso.”
“Lo que estás diciendo,” Rafa aclaró, “Es que tú te sientes normal y por eso quieres que otra gente te ve como normal.”
“Sí. Parece tonto, pero así es. Es difícil que conozca a gente baja circunstancias normales. Por ejemplo, no soy tipo que puede ir a un bar y conocer a una chica; no me vale. Hay demasiadas cosas que pierdo, pistas visuales y tal. Es difícil que el hecho de que soy ciego no se vuelva un factor en la conversación.
“Pues,” dijo Cristina, “Yo tampoco soy tipo que va al bar para conocer a gente. No es tan raro.”
“Niko” Rafa añadió, “No eres persona normal. Aun si pudieras ver, no serías persona normal. Es la característica especial que tienes, es lo que te haces tú. En vez de evadirlo, tienes que aceptarlo.”

(Writing about yourself in these terms is very difficult.)
(Es muy difícil escribir sobre uno mismo así.)

AS the three of us walked on, we eventually met up with Ainara, Carlos and our new friend Humi again. While crossing a bridge, Rafa and I were stopped by a young man who was walking behind us.
“Excuse me,” he said, “I’m sorry, I don’t know your name. I was wondering if I could take a picture with you though. A couple days ago one of the people who worked at a hostel told me there was a blind person walking the Camino. I really think it’s amazing what you’re doing.”
So I embraced the situation and took a photo with the man.
“Weren’t you walking with some girl? They said something about an elbow?”
“Oh yeah,” I said, “The elbow is back there a ways. I’m walking with several people… it’s just that her elbow has become the most famous.”

Nosotros tres seguíamos caminando hasta encontrarnos otra vez con Ainara, Carlos y nuestro nuevo amigo Humi. Mientras cruzábamos un puente, nos paró a rafa y yo un hombre que iba caminando por detrás.
“Perdóname,” nos dijo, “No sé tu nombre, pero me pregunto si podría sacar una foto contigo. Hace un par de días uno de los hospitaleros me dijo que un ciego iba caminando. Es increíble lo que estás haciendo.”
Así que acepté la situación y saqué una foto con el hombre.
“¿No había una chica que iba contigo? ¿Nos dijo algo de un codo?”
“Ah, sí. Ese codo va allí por detrás. Estoy caminando con varias personas, es que su codo se ha vuelto famoso.”

In Melide I was able to truly enjoy the freedom from stomach illness by partaking of the octopus so famous in that city. Since Melide was around the half-way point of our journey, we spent some time relaxing in the town, which was having a festival. We ate our octopus and empanada and then found ice-cream. As we were leaving again to continue our journey, we were surprised by the arrival of Jesus, the man from Maria Jose’s group. He had also stopped in Melide and taken a short nap. He joined us for the continuation of our Camino.

En Melide Podía realmente desfrutar de estar sin molestias del estómago y comer el pulpo famoso de la región. Como Melide quedó a la mitad de la etapa de hoy, pasamos un rato descansando en el pueblo que estaba de fiesta. Comimos el pulpo y empanada y después buscamos helado. Cuando íbamos saliendo otra vez para retomar el Camino, nos sorprendió Jesús, el hombre del grupo de María José. Él también había parado el Melide para comer pulpo y después tomado una pequeña siesta. Nos acompañó durante lo que quedaba de la etapa.


In Arzua, Rafa again went to the emergency room. The doctors yesterday were uncertain about the cause of his skin rash, though they suspected that it was a reaction to his own sweat. The reaction should only last three days, but it was necessary he continue to get injections of medicine. Since our plan for tomorrow was to sleep in Monte de Gozo, where there is no hospital, Carlos accompanied Rafa to the hospital in Arzua to pick up an extra dose of the medicine. Since Carlos is a nurse, he is qualified to give injections. While Rafa and Carlos were gone, Cristina, Ainara and I went to the store and had dinner at a small bar near our hostel.

En Arzua, Rafa fue a las emergencias otra vez. Los médicos ayer no sabían bien lo que causaba la reacción de su piel, pero sospechaban que era una reacción alérgica a su propio sudor. Debe de durar unos tres días nada más, pero era necesario que vaya para inyecciones todos esos días. Como nuestro plan era quedar mañana en Monte de Gozo, donde no hay emergencia, Carlos le acompañó al hospital para recoger una inyección más de la medicina. Carlos es enfermero y, así, tiene certificado que le permite poner las inyecciones. Mientras Carlos y Rafa estaban en el hospital, Ainara, Cristina y yo fuimos al supermercado y después a un bar cerca del albergue para cenar.

No comments:

Post a Comment